Oviedo is the capital of Asturias and maintains its position as a university and administrative service city.
It is a very attractive, clean city with an old sector close to the cathedral, a Central Park, a thriving shopping centre and various museums and monuments. All of these make it well worth a visit.
The building started in the 14th century and was finished in 1587 taking about 70 years to build. From the ground to the lightning conductor it measures 70 meters.
Close to the cathedral there are other churches and palaces of interest including the church of San Tirso rebuilt after the big fire in Oviedo in 1521, the Valdecarzana Palace built between the 17th and 18th century and the Marquis and Marchioness of Camposagrado Palace built in the 18th century
Asturias is also an area rich in orchids species where it is possible to find bee orchids or man orchids growing along the side of old roads or purple fields full of Serapias. There are also various Narcissus species present in Asturias three of which have been declared of special interest in the EEC. It is possible to walk in the mountains in April and see fields coloured yellow with the presence of the small Narcissus citrinus or find clumps of Narcissus leonensis looking like they have been planted there by an avid gardener.
The region is almost as famous for its forests. The highest forests are composed mainly of beech, giving way to mixed woodlands of Pyrenean oak, ash, sweet chestnut, birch, holly, yew and lime lower down. There are many important forests in the area, some of which are outlined below:
- Beech forests of Valdeón and Sajambre. A magnificent Atlantic wood, and one of the best beech woods in the Iberian Peninsula.
- Monte Cortegueros. Beech forest with the largest representation of yews in the national park, situated on either side of the "Senda del Arcediano"
- Pome. A mature beech forest close to the kings look out point. Recently declared a restricted area.
- Bosque de Peloña. A special protected beech forest in the Ponga district, with a large representation of hollies, and Capercaillies.